Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pineapple 'green smoothie'

Did you know you can easily grow a pineapple? Just DON'T CUT the top off... watch this video, it's easy and encouraging.  Some things to have before you start:  A largish pot, potting soil, some stones for the bottom.
How to grow a pineapple

Now for the part about my delicious breakfast.  Pineapples were cheap again, and fresh pineapple is soooo delicious, that I had to have some for my sunny breakfast.  It came out a pale green, but tasted most like the pineapple.  Measures are approximate. It made about 2-3 cups of smoothie, or about 2 days worth for me. Recipe below.  By the way, basmati rice and bulgur both take 15 minutes to cook, and both are 1 part to 2 parts water. So they are a natural blend, and this will give the lovely taste of basmati while adding fibre and other nutrients of bulgur.

I also made a carrot/date 'cake'.  This is a raw recipe that I lifted off another blog called Gone Raw. I had made some carrot juice and was left with skads of carrot pulp.  I found that the dates did NOT do well in the blender, it kept sounding like a pit was bouncing off the blades (I do not have a food processor).  I forged ahead anyway by chopping the now sloppy (I had been soaking them for 10 minutes) dates into little pieces. This actually makes a great entree, as it has lots of nuts in it for protein and chewing. It's sweet and tasty. It did not set well. Recipe and credit below.



Medium banana, 1 cup pineapple, 1/2 c soy beverage, 4-5 kale leaves, 3-4" english cucumber (skin on- the flecks of dark green are pretty), 3 almonds (raw, soaked, skinned), 1 Tbsp each ground sesame seeds and ground flax seeds, 1/2 c cooked basmati/bulgur mix.

Blend well and enjoy!  I found mine was still a little chewy, but I have an average  blender. Those of you who have the blender with a cape (super blender), you may not find that.  I still had some chewing, which I find helpful to tell my tummy that I've been fed. Otherwise, it just doesn't believe me!

Carrot Cake  - I (Nancy) did not frost mine.  This is a quote straight off Gone Raw:

"hi! what a funny coincidence, I just made HeathyPace (from Raw Freedom Community Forum)'s Pumpkin Pie Spice Bars with leftover carrot pulp from juicing, but my version ended up tasting like a rawvegan carrot cake. Here was my version:  [http://goneraw.com/forum/carrot-pulp]

3 c carrot pulp
1 1/2 c pecans (*I used almonds, but would have used pecans if I had them) [Nancy= I used almonds as well]
1 c pitted packed dates (*mine didn't process too well, I should have soaked them first)
2 tbs maple syrup
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice [Nancy= I used some nutmeg and ginger powder]
1/4 tsp salt (*I didn't use salt)[ Nancy= I didn't use salt either]
[Nancy= I did add 1/2 c of carob chips and about a Tbsp of minced dried ginger]

In a food processor, crush the pecans down to crumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
Spread into a pan and chill.

Maple Cashew Frosting  [Nancy= I didn't use frosting, trying to cut out sugar]
1 cup cashews
¼ cup maple syrup (*I used less, but still too much - it doesn't even need maple syrup, it made the frosting too sweet for my taste).
¼ cup water

Blend until smooth and creamy in a high speed blender. Spread over pumpkin bars. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon (optional). Chill. Layered Cake: Spread half of the cake "batter" into a pan. Spread with 1/2 of the frosting. Spread the rest of the cake on top and spread with remaining frosting. See?! So simple! :)

I actually prefer them frozen, as a savory frozen treat. I was really happy with the icing. My food processor was too small for the recipe, but overall I think they turned out pretty good!

 http://www.motherearthnews.com/Whole-Foods-and-Cooking/1977-11-01/Carrot-Pulp-Cookery.aspx"

No comments:

Post a Comment