Monday, October 3, 2011

October is Outline Month

Surprised? Not if you're a Nano-er!  November is novel writing month, and October is outline month.  That is, if you want full-bodied, exciting characters and some idea of where your plot is supposed to go.  Believe me, I've tried it with and without an outline, and outline wins.  Otherwise your plot meanders in circles or races off into the distance... but without the supporting background, it becomes so thin that it snaps its thread and you're left either reworking the whole thing or starting over.
*SAD FACE* Just the memory is horrifying.
I actually have an idea of a plot already.... ok, what I really have is a Main Character (MC).  Now I have to put her in a 'situation', or a 'crossroads', so the story can have a reference point. In November I am supposed to issue our club newsletter, so I have to have that done in October to free up my time in November for novelling.
Since re-dedicating my life to Jesus, I now like my novels to have a moral, or show a lifestyle not usually seen on TV, movies etc., a possible alternate way of approaching problems to what people automatically fall back on.  Hopefully my novels will be uplifting to the reader.

In case you are not a 'noveller', and would like to know more, the event is National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo) and the website is www.nanowrimo.org.
Rules are easy (ok, not easy - simple): write 50,000 words between Nov 1-30. Any subject, any age, any anything! Submit by uploading online.  To do this, you go to the site and create a free account. THERE IS NOTHING TO PURCHASE. It's just for fun. (Although if you complete the challenge, you 'win' a shiny web badge!)  Before November you can do plot outlines, character developments, theme songs, art work, just no actual story.  Hundreds of thousands of people worldwide will be participating and you will get encouraging emails from the Office of Letters & Light.

Got a story? Got an idea? Feel like being all crazy and wild-eyed in November? Let's DO IT! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment