Thursday, September 22, 2011

Boyo is 19 (or LCBO stock rises by 20%)

Boyo decided that to celebrate being 19, he should drink 19 shots... and a lot of beer.  His stomach did not agree.  Silly Boyo is going to try similar stunts this weekend with his cousin.
*commence banging head on desk here [  bang head here ] as folly of youth and inability of parent to influence stupid teenaged decisions becomes obvious*  On top of this, he has just started college, and I am concerned about his work suffering.  Also he has not landed a job yet (Walmart was supposed to effect a transfer. They may or may not have, because last I heard they were offering cashier positions which my son won't take.)


So I ask God to continue to protect him and lead him to wiser decisions (because I can do nothing, and God can move hearts).


My two girls (young ladies now) both navigated this dangerous strait and made it out the other side relatively unscathed.  The older one was nearly waylaid a few years later for different reasons, but we survived that as well.


Rule No 1 in parenting: Keep them alive.
Rule No 2: Don't kill them out of frustration what you hear they have survived in stupidity.
Rule No 3: Remember that OH Yes you were young once.
Rule No 4: They are adults now, so treat them as adults, whether they 'deserve' it or not.
Rule No 5: Love them and their friends.



2 comments:

  1. I think those are the smartest tips I have heard about parenting in awhile!
    It's so difficult to guide them AND let go at the same time, trusting that it will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Because I can do nothing and God can move hearts..." This is the truth! Hold to it!

    The deeper I go into Bible study, the more I "hear" God whispering, "Be still, and know that I am God." I really do believe God is ultimately the One in control.

    Your parenting rules are filled with acceptance, hope, and love. Your kids are blessed to have you as their mom.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete